terça-feira, 28 de junho de 2016

It's not them. It's us.


Everyone is talking about the UK. And I can't stop thinking about the country I live in. I'm kind of an immigrant in Italia. I'm not italiano. But i'm privileged. Let's say why. I'm white. I'm from Portugal and everyone loves Cristiano Ronaldo. No joke. No one is thinking of me as a bad person for living here. I'm cool. I'm the cool white guy that came here to be a volunteer. I didn't arrived here sailing a boat in the Mediterrean sea. I came here with all my classy whiteness packed in a plane and no one is calling me "kebab" or "bangladesh". But it hurts me when I hear them calling these names to other people. And believe me, I've had enough of this moments. I never lived or experienced so much racism and xenophobia in a short time. It's shocking. To say the least.
I work with children everyday, many of them come from other countries (or at least their parents). And I fear for their future. They are growing up in a country that has a party that wants to divide Italia (north and south!). Again, no joke! This kids will be living in a not so united Europe. And they can't do absolutely nothing about it, because it's us (the grown ups) who are deciding the things to come. It's not new. Always was, always will be. And that leads me to my final tought. The last time Europe started to be this divided, we ended up fighting each other. In Italia many people from the North hate people from the south. Many people from the south don't "feel italian". Many of them want independent regions. Independent rules. And how can we expect the UNION of Europe to work if we are not even capable of handle our own countrys?
Now let's take a moment to think again about my white privilege, because when they are out of muslims, negroes, and all the people they so love to hate, they will want to come after us. The ones who think different. The ones who are against them. And don't fool yourself, having a cool football player or not, we are all foreigners to somebody else.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário